Sudden, accidental water damage has long lasting effects on the inhabitants as well as the structure of the property. When the water damage is easily identifiable, homeowners can take immediate steps towards getting the water damage remediation process started, but the situation becomes more dangerous if the water damage that your property is facing is hidden and not easily identifiable.
So, as per the name implies, the hidden damage is such damage that’s not easily identifiable. The chances are that you will find out about the hidden water damage after it has incurred massive structural damage to your property. Or, a significant amount of microbial growth would already be underway and already affecting the health of the house’s occupants by the time you get to the bottom of the problem.
The best way to handle hidden water damage is to take pre-emptive steps that ensure that your house doesn’t start getting hidden water damage. Here are eight warning signs that may signal that your house may be experiencing hidden water damage.
- Check your water bill. If the bill is slowly increasing and you cannot make out any tangible cause of that increase that may be a sign of a hidden leak.
- Check your wall paint or wallpaper and see if it’s peeling or cracking.
- Weird discoloration of the carpet, ceiling or walls.
- Dripping sounds while sleeping or in a quiet setting.
- Foul odor caused by mold.
- Swelling or peeling baseboards.
- A room’s temperature seems cooler than the rest of the house.
- Unexpected moisture in a particular area that’s not usually wet.
There can be a wide variety of sources that can cause hidden water damage. Intra wall pipe leakage and a breach in the tiles or shingles on the roofing can be a typical culprit. The severity of the damage is directly affected by the duration of the leak. A professional water damage restoration company would be able to help you in this situation if you can identify that a hidden water damage problem exists in your house.
Independent water damage restoration companies are the ideal choice to battle hidden water damage. Choose a company that’s got an established reputation of doing quality work.